The mission of the Environmental Sensitivities Research Institute is to support sound scientific and medical research into environmental intolerance issues [multiple chemical sensitivity], and to compile and disseminate information on those issues. (http://www.esri.org/purpose.htm; February 2, 2001) ESRI is primarily sponsored by its member organizations. (Members not listed on website) (http://www.esri.org/; February 2, 2001)
Founded in 1994, ESRI criticizes multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS).
Board of Directors (May 1, 1997 through April 30, 1999; ESRI list)
Members at Large:
- Richard M. Bednarz, Ph.D., Amway Corporation
- Wayne Carlson, Ph.D., Bayer Corporation
- Gregory A. Krauss, Esq., Carr, Goodson, Lee & Warner P.C.
- David K. Wilcox, Ph.D., Colgate-Palmolive Company
- Gerald N. McEwen, Jr., Ph.D., JD, Cosmetic, Toiletry and Fragrance Association
- John E. DiFazio, Jr., Esq., Chemical Specialty Manufacturers Association
- Timothy M. Maniscalo, DowElanco
- Robert N. Sturm, Jr., MS, Procter & Gamble
- Allen James, MBA, CAE, Responsible Industry for a Sound Environment
- Glenn S. Simon, Ph.D., DABT, Rhône-Poulenc
Members from the Independent Scientific Community
- Donald W. Black, MD, University of Iowa College of Medicine, Staff Psychiatrist and Psychiatry Research
- Roy L. DeHart, MD, MPH, FACOEM, FACPM, FAAFP, FASMA, University of Oklahoma, Professor of Medicine and Pharmacology
- Jordan N. Fink, MD, Medical College of Wisconsin, Professor of Medicine, Allergy & Immunology
- Frank Mitchell, DO, MPH, Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Chief Medical Officer ATSDR, Retired 1995.
Ex Officio Members:
- Ronald E. Gots, MD, Ph.D., Executive Director [founder; no longer affiliated with ESRI, as per ESRI memo, 11/9/98]
- Suellen W. Pirages, Ph.D., Managing Director
- Cindy Lynn Richard, CIH, Former Secretary (non-voting).