- Health Disparities and Sugar Drinks
- Health Risks of Sugar Drinks
- Sugar Drink Consumption
- Sugar Drink Marketing
CSPI's 2005 Actions on Liquid Candy
- Liquid Candy Report
- Press Release: CSPI Calls on FDA to Require Health Messages on Sodas
- Petition to FDA to Require Health Messages on Soft Drinks
- Letter to Secretary Leavitt
- Statement of CSPI Executive Director Michael Jacobson
Soft Drink Taxes
- Brownell KD and Frieden TR. Ounces of Prevention – The Public Policy Case for Taxes on Sugared Beverages. N Engl J Med. 2009 Apr:10:1056.
- Chriqui JF, Eidson SS, Bates H, Kowalczyk S, Chaloupka FJ. State Sales Tax Rates for Soft Drinks and Snacks Sold through Grocery Stores and Vending Machines, 2007. J Pub Health Policy. 2008,Jul:29(2):226-49.
- ImpacTeen. State Snack and Soda Tax Data. Institute for Health Research and Policy. University of Illinois at Chicago. http://www.impacteen.org/obesitystatedata.htm
- Jacobson MF and Brownell KD. Small taxes on soft drinks and snack foods to promote health. Am J Public Health. 2000 Jun;90(6):854-7.
- Rudd Center for Food Policy & Obesity. Soft Drink Taxes: Opportunities for Public Policy. Rudd Report. Yale University. May 2009.
Soft Drinks and Health
- Greenstein, Julie Salz, Center for Science in the Public Interest. Reducing Consumption of Sugar-Sweetened Beverages. Maryland Food Policy Workgroup. July 21, 2010.
- Chen L, Appel LJ, Loria C, Lin PH, Champagne CM, Elmer PJ, Ard JD, Mitchell D, Batch BC, Svetkey LP, Caballero B. Reduction in consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages is associated with weight loss: the PREMIER trial. Am J Clin Nutr. 2009 May;89(5):1299-306.
- Ebbeling CB, Feldman HA, Osganian SK, Chomitz VR, Ellenbogen SJ, Ludwig DS. Effects of Decreasing Sugar-Sweetened Beverage Consumption on Body Weight in Adolescents: A Randomized, Controlled Pilot Study. Pediatrics. Vol 2006 Mar;117(3):673-80.
- Jacobson MJ. Liquid Candy – How Soft Drinks are Harming Americans’ Health. Center for Science in the Public Interest. June 2005.
- Jacobson MJ. Review of Recent Evidence on Sugar, Sugar Sweetened Beverages, and Health. Letter to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, Re Dockets 2005P-0282 (health notices on soft drinks); 99P-2630 (added-sugar DV and labeling). Center for Science in the Public Interest. August 28, 2008.
- Ludwig, DS, Peterson, KE & Gortmaker, SL. Relation between consumption of sugar-sweetened drinks and childhood obesity: a prospective, observational analysis. Lancet 2001;357:505–8.
- Malik VS, Schulze MB, Hu FB. Intake of sugar-sweetened beverages and weight gain: a systematic review. Am J Clin Nutr. 2006 Aug;84(2):274-88.
- New York State Department of Health. Evidence Related to Soft Drinks and Health. Sugar Sweetened Beverage Tool Kit. January 23, 2009.
- Vartanian LR, Scwartz MB, Brownell KD. Effects of soft drink consumption on nutrition and health: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Public Health. 2007 Apr;97(4):667-75.
- Britain. Cross-Government Obesity Unit, Department of Health and Department of Children, Schools and Families. Healthy Weight, Healthy Lives A Cross Government Strategy for England. London: Crown Copyright, 2008.
This report describes the British government’s ambitious plan to reverse rates of obesity and overweight in Britain. It lays out several policies to promote children’s health, healthy food, physical activity, health at the workplace, and effective obesity treatment and support. Its initial focus is to reduce childhood overweight and obesity prevalence to 2000 levels by the year 2020.
- Center for Science in the Public Interest. Obesity Factsheet. Updated May 2009.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Overweight and Obesity. Atlanta: CDC, 2007.
- Nestle M, Jacobson MF. Halting the Obesity Epidemic: A Public Health Policy Approach. Public Health Reports. 2000 Jan/Feb;115:12-24.
- U.S. Senate Committee on Finance. Roundtable Discussion on Financing Comprehensive Health Care Reform. Health Care Reform: Prevention is Essential. May 12, 2009.
- CBS News. Senate Considers Federal Tax on Soda. May 12, 2009.
- Adamy J. Soda Tax Weighed to Pay for Health Care. Wall Street Journal. May 12, 2009.
- Stephen Colbert. Stephen’s Coke Party Protest. Colbert Nation. May 13, 2009. (Media Clip).
- Leonhardt D. Soda's a Tempting Tax Target. New York Times. May 20, 2009.
- Jacobson MF. Sensible Health Laws Make Sense. The Wall Street Journal. May 29, 2009.
- Jacobson MF. The Fizzy Math: Tax Soda to Pay for Health Care and Prevention. The Huffington Post. May 29, 2009.