Press Release 05/17/2016: Federal Court Denies Soda Industry's Motion to Stop San Francisco's Warning Labels on Soda Ads
Press Release 05/16/2016: Coke Markets to Children Despite Pledge Not to, Report Finds
Press Release 04/28/2016: Selena Gomez Urged Not to Promote Diabetes, Obesity with #ShareaCoke Campaign
Press Release 04/21/2016: Boulder Launches Campaign for 2-Cent-per-Ounce Tax on Soda, Sugar Drinks
Press Release 04/08/2016: Vitaminwater Settlement Approved by Court
Press Release 03/29/2016: Soda Sales Continue Nearly Twenty-Year Freefall
Press Release 02/29/2016: Philadelphia Mayor Proposes 3-Cent-Per-Oz Soda Tax
Press Release 02/25/2016: Americans Guzzling too Much Soda, Despite Declines
Press Release 02/18/2016: Scientists Support Warning Labels on Soda in NY State
Press Release 02/09/2016: Soda Companies Turning to Low- and Middle-Income Countries to Replace Sagging U.S. Soda Sales
Press Release 11/30/2015: Applebee's to Remove Soda from Kids' Menus
Press Release 08/25/2015: Soda Industry Spending Against Public Health Tops $100 Million
Press Release 08/20/2015: Coke-Funded Health Research Not Credible, Says CSPI
Press Release 08/19/2015: Universities Should Not Lend Names to Coca-Cola "Energy Balance" Network
Press Release 08/13/2015: Coca-Cola Funded Group Peddles "Nonsense" as Science
Press Release 07/24/2015: FDA Proposes Daily Value for Added Sugars on Nutrition Facts Labels
Press Release 07/20/2015: Nation of Chile's Front-of-Package Nutrition Labeling Praised
Press Release 06/23/2015: Health Advocates Remake Famous "Hilltop" Ad
Press Release 05/27/2015: City of Davis, CA, Takes Soda off Kids' Menus
Press Release 05/14/2015: Dairy Queen Removes Soda from Kids' Meals
Press Release 04/24/2015: PepsiCo Reformulates Diet Pepsi Without Aspartame
Press Release 04/08/2015: Nation's Leading Public Health Researchers, Scientists Endorse California, New York Sugar Drink Warning Label Bills
Press Release 03/26/2015: Soda Sales Shrink for 10th Straight Year
Press Release 03/26/2015: Rep. DeLauro's SWEET Act Would Raise About $10 Billion for Prevention Programs
Press Release 03/24/2015: New Dietary Guidelines Should Limit Sugar, Salt, Red and Processed Meats
Press Release 03/10/2015: Groups Applaud Burger King for Joining Other Fast-Food Giants in Pulling Soda From Kids' Menus
Press Release 06/26/2014: New York Court of Appeals Fails to Reinstate Soda-Size Cap
Press Release 06/05/2014: Sugar-Sweetened Beverage Legislation Weeks Away, Says DeLauro
Press Release 06/02/2014: Reducing Soda-Related Diseases is Focus of National Soda Summit
Press Release 03/31/2014: Soda Sales Slump for 9th Year, Says Beverage Digest
Press Release 03/07/2014: Maryland Bills Would Improve Nutritional Quality of Kids' Meals, Protect Kids from Dangerous Energy Drinks
Press Release 11/06/2013: Soda Spending Helps Sink Tax Proposal in Telluride
Press Release 10/31/2013: Mexican Senate Passes Tax on Soda
Press Release 10/11/2013: McDonald's Clarifies Plan to Remove Soda from Happy Meals
Press Release 09/27/2013: McDonald's, Alliance for Healthier Generation, Misled Public and Media Re: Soda and Happy Meals
Press Release 09/12/2013: Drinking Water is Great, But Drinking Less Soda is Better Message
Press Release 09/04/2013: Shaquille O'Neal Not an Appropriate Let's Move Spokesperson, Says CSPI
Press Release 08/14/2013: Coke Shouldn't Bother Rehabilitating Aspartame's Image, Says CSPI
Press Release 08/01/2013: USDA Urged to Allow Pilot Programs Aimed at Excluding Soda from SNAP Purchases
Press Release 07/30/2013: NYC Vows to Appeal Serving Size Decision
Press Release 07/25/2013: Soda Sales Continue Slide; Good News for Public Health Says CSPI
Press Release 07/22/2013: 7UP To Drop "Antioxidant" Marketing
Press Release 07/17/2013: Shaquille O'Neal Hyping 270-Calorie Sodas
Press Release 06/11/2013: New York City Should Prevail in Soda Portion Cap Appeal, Says CSPI
Press Release 05/28/2013: Anticipated National School Nutrition Standards Should Have Negligible Financial Impact on Schools and Beverage Industry
Press Release 04/10/2013: Supermarkets, Pharmacies Urged to Shift From Soda Toward No- and Low-calorie Beverages
Press Release 03/19/2013: Soda Industry's "Selfish Giving"
Press Release 03/11/2013: Judge Blocks Bloomberg Administration Soda Size Caps ... For Now
Press Release 02/27/2013: New Study Links Sugar to Diabetes
Press Release 02/13/2013: FDA Urged to Determine Safe Limits on High-Fructose Corn Syrup and Other Sugars in Soft Drinks
Press Release 02/01/2013: "Pour One Out" Video Contest Winners Announced
Press Release 01/25/2013: PepsiCo Takes Brominated Vegetable Oil Out of Gatorade
Press Release 01/25/2013: Coca-Cola Obesity Ad Translated from Cokespeak to English
Press Release 01/23/2013: NAACP Should Return Coke Money, Support Efforts to Reduce Soda-Related Diseases
Press Release 01/14/2013: CSPI on New Coca-Cola Advertising Campaign & Obesity
Press Release 01/04/2013: 2,000,000 View "The Real Bears" Film
Press Release 12/18/2012: Beyonce Urged to Reconsider Pepsi Deal
Press Release 11/30/2012: Sugary Drink Tax Should be on Table During Fiscal Cliff Talks, Group Says
Press Release 10/15/2012: The Real Bears Take America
Press Release 10/10/2012: INTRODUCING "THE REAL BEARS"
Press Release 09/21/2012: New Studies Add to Evidence Linking Soda to Weight Gain
Press Release 09/13/2012: New York City Health Board Caps Soda Serving Sizes
Press Release 07/19/2012: Health Groups Urge Surgeon General's Report on Soda
Press Release 06/26/2012: Tests Show Carcinogen Levels in Coca-Cola Vary Worldwide
Press Release 06/07/2012: Surprising Support for Curbs on Soda Serving Sizes: Poll
Press Release 06/06/2012: NYC Health Commissioner to Address Soda Summit
Press Release 05/31/2012: New York City Move on Soda Sizes Praised
Press Release 05/29/2012: National Soda Summit to Convene Next Week (June 7-8)
Press Release 03/05/2012: Lab Tests Find Carcinogen in Regular and Diet Coke and Pepsi
Press Release 02/15/2012: CSPI, Health Advocates Announce Sugary Drinks Summit
Press Release 11/03/2011: Mayors' Group Urged to Ditch Deal with Soda Industry
Press Release 08/31/2011: Cities, CSPI, & Health Groups Announce Major New Campaign to Reduce Soda Consumption
Press Release 01/03/2011: Health Warnings Urged for Soda & Other Sugary Drinks
Press Release 11/01/2010: New School Beverage Study Shows Need for Child Nutrition Bill
Press Release 10/27/2010: Is Soda Higher in Fructose Than Previously Thought?
Press Release 10/07/2010: New York City Request to Exclude Soda from SNAP Deserves Support, Says CSPI
Press Release 09/15/2010: Proposed Name Change For High-Fructose Corn Syrup Still Misleading
Press Release 01/19/2010: New York State Tax on Soda Cheered by CSPI
Press Release 09/30/2009: Taxing Soda Could Trim State Deficits (and Waistlines), Says Report
Press Release 06/17/2009: Soda Taxes Can Help Fund Health Coverage and Prevention Programs, Say Experts
CSPI's 2005 Actions on Liquid Candy
Soft Drink Taxes
Soft Drinks and Health
- Greenstein, Julie Salz, Center for Science in the Public Interest. Reducing Consumption of Sugar-Sweetened Beverages. Maryland Food Policy Workgroup. July 21, 2010.
- Chen L, Appel LJ, Loria C, Lin PH, Champagne CM, Elmer PJ, Ard JD, Mitchell D, Batch BC, Svetkey LP, Caballero B. Reduction in consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages is associated with weight loss: the PREMIER trial. Am J Clin Nutr. 2009 May;89(5):1299-306.
- Ebbeling CB, Feldman HA, Osganian SK, Chomitz VR, Ellenbogen SJ, Ludwig DS. Effects of Decreasing Sugar-Sweetened Beverage Consumption on Body Weight in Adolescents: A Randomized, Controlled Pilot Study. Pediatrics. Vol 2006 Mar;117(3):673-80.
- Jacobson MJ. Liquid Candy – How Soft Drinks are Harming Americans’ Health. Center for Science in the Public Interest. June 2005.
- Jacobson MJ. Review of Recent Evidence on Sugar, Sugar Sweetened Beverages, and Health. Letter to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, Re Dockets 2005P-0282 (health notices on soft drinks); 99P-2630 (added-sugar DV and labeling). Center for Science in the Public Interest. August 28, 2008.
- Ludwig, DS, Peterson, KE & Gortmaker, SL. Relation between consumption of sugar-sweetened drinks and childhood obesity: a prospective, observational analysis. Lancet 2001;357:505–8.
- Malik VS, Schulze MB, Hu FB. Intake of sugar-sweetened beverages and weight gain: a systematic review. Am J Clin Nutr. 2006 Aug;84(2):274-88.
- New York State Department of Health. Evidence Related to Soft Drinks and Health. Sugar Sweetened Beverage Tool Kit. January 23, 2009.
- Vartanian LR, Scwartz MB, Brownell KD. Effects of soft drink consumption on nutrition and health: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Public Health. 2007 Apr;97(4):667-75.
- Britain. Cross-Government Obesity Unit, Department of Health and Department of Children, Schools and Families. Healthy Weight, Healthy Lives A Cross Government Strategy for England. London: Crown Copyright, 2008.
This report describes the British government’s ambitious plan to reverse rates of obesity and overweight in Britain. It lays out several policies to promote children’s health, healthy food, physical activity, health at the workplace, and effective obesity treatment and support. Its initial focus is to reduce childhood overweight and obesity prevalence to 2000 levels by the year 2020.
- Center for Science in the Public Interest. Obesity Factsheet. Updated May 2009.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Overweight and Obesity. Atlanta: CDC, 2007.
- Nestle M, Jacobson MF. Halting the Obesity Epidemic: A Public Health Policy Approach. Public Health Reports. 2000 Jan/Feb;115:12-24.