Quorn

ShareThis

Quorn is the brand name of meat substitutes that are made from a vat-grown fungus. Some people have dangerous allergic reactions to the fungus and suffer nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and occasionally hives or difficulty breathing.

Did you or someone you know eat Quorn and get sick? 

File an adverse reaction report here.


Some people react the first time they eat Quorn, while some react only after building up a sensitivity. At least two deaths have been linked to Quorn. The parents of an 11-year-old California boy sued the maker of Quorn in March 2015.

Medical studies have proven that Quorn's fungal ingredient is an allergen, but the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the United Kingdom's Food Standards Agency still allow its sale. All of us at CSPI have heard from more than 2,000 consumers in Europe, the United States, and Australia/New Zealand who suffered reactions to Quorn.

Despite what some of the manufacturer's marketing materials indicate, the fungus used in Quorn is only distantly related to mushrooms, truffles, or morels. While all are members of the fungus kingdom, Quorn is made from a less appetizing fungus (or mold) called Fusarium venenatum.

We urge consumers to avoid Quorn and urges natural-foods retailers like Whole Foods not to sell this product that is dangerous to sensitive individuals.