Digital Communications Coordinator
We are seeking a creative thinker and energetic individual to coordinate CSPI’s digital communications and advocacy campaigns that inform our supporters and the public, and mobilize them to act.
The Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) is a non-profit health-advocacy group based in Washington, DC, that focuses on protecting the public from diet-related health problems. CSPI publishes Nutrition Action Healthletter, the nation’s largest‑circulation health newsletter, and has led efforts that resulted in healthier diets, more-nutritious school foods, safer foods, and more honest food labeling. CSPI provides objective information to the public and represents citizens’ interests before legislative, regulatory, and judicial bodies. CSPI is supported largely by subscribers to Nutrition Action Healthletter, individual donors, and foundation grants.
We are seeking a creative thinker and energetic individual to coordinate CSPI’s digital communications and advocacy campaigns that inform our supporters and the public, and mobilize them to act. This position reports to the Director of Communications and works collaboratively with staff across the organization using email and social media platforms to help advance CSPI’s public policy objectives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate email advocacy program, including building and scheduling outbound action alerts in Engaging Networks.
- Execute testing strategies, such as A/B testing, to optimize campaigns; and assist program staff with maximizing open- and click-through rates.
- Help draft action alerts; and social media copy and design graphics with an eye toward maximizing reach.
- Coordinate and participate in the development and implementation of strategies to grow CSPI’s email list.
- Work with program staff to devise social media or other web development strategies that integrate with email campaigns.
- Manage and nurture CSPI’s social media communities, including responding to messages, moderating comments, and growing number of followers.
- Use metrics to determine the effectiveness of email campaigns and social media use.
- Stay current on industry trends and best practices in online communications for advocacy organizations.
- One to two years’ experience in digital communications in an advocacy campaign environment.
- Experience with eCRM systems such as Convio or (preferably) Engaging Networks; Drupal or other content management systems; Photoshop and other photo and video editing software.
- Prior experience in communications, public relations, or issue advocacy is highly desirable.
- Experience with social media tools and marketing.
- Experience in using statistics to measure effectiveness of initiatives.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills; and strong proofreading skills.
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, an ability to adapt to changing priorities in a news-driven atmosphere.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, or journalism, preferred.
- Interest in nutrition, food safety, or health issues and public interest commitment.
Please send a cover letter indicating relevant experience and interest, and résumé, to email@example.com. Please include “DCC” in the email subject line.
CSPI offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package along with a healthy working environment. CSPI is an equal opportunity employer. Minorities, women, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.