It’s the worst thing I’ve ever been through,” Robin Shaffer recalled. “I had no energy. You’d try to keep something in you and it just comes out.”
When Shaffer ate an enchilada, bean burrito, and chile relleno combo meal at a Mexican restaurant in Bemidji, Minnesota, a few years ago, she had no idea that raw eggs tainted with Salmonella bacteria had contaminated her food in the kitchen. That food poisoning from eggs would knock Shaffer off her feet for three weeks. “My life was literally the toilet,” she told a local TV station.