About a week after eating a medium-rare steak at a family restaurant, 87-year-old Margaret Lamkin of Iowa “started having diarrhea and it didn’t let up,” she told The Kansas City Star. Stricken with an E. coli O157:H7 infection, Lamkin was admitted to a hospital where she had her colon removed and was given a colostomy bag to use for the rest of her life.
“I had a very difficult time adapting to this bag, changing and cleaning,” she said. “Oh, we had so many accidents. It was just terrible,” she recalled.