Recipe: Lentil Salad with Mustard Vinaigrette
Here's a sample recipe from Salad Days!, Nutrition Action‘s newest cookbook by Kate Sherwood.
The recipe in this post was developed by Kate Sherwood, The Healthy Cook.
Lentil Salad with Mustard Vinaigrette
For more color, use a combination of red and golden beets.
Time: 30 minutes
- ½ cup dry French lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 4 cups salad greens
- 1 cup cooked diced beets
- ½ cup cooked diced butternut squash
- ¼ cup roasted, salted sunflower seeds
1. Simmer the lentils with the bay leaf in enough water to cover by ½ inch until just tender, 12-15 minutes. Drain and let cool.
2. Make the Mustard Vinaigrette dressing
3. Toss the lentils, quinoa, and salad greens in the dressing. Top with the beets, squash, and sunflower seeds.
- 1 Tbs. red wine or sherry vinegar
- 1 Tbs. whole-grain mustard
- ½ tsp. dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp. honey
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
In a large bowl, whisk together all the ingredients.
Makes 4½ Tbs.
Per serving (3 cups salad with 2¼ Tbs. dressing):
- Calories: 580
- Total fat: 25 g
- Sat fat: 3 g
- Carbs: 70 g
- Fiber: 17 g
- Total sugar: 13 g
- Added sugar: 1 g
- Protein: 23 g
- Sodium: 630 mg
Enjoy this recipe? Salad Days!—the latest cookbook from Nutrition Action’s Healthy Cook, Kate Sherwood—will help you expand your repertoire with imaginative combinations of greens, vegetables, herbs, whole grains, and proteins. You’ll find healthy variations on classics like Chicken Caesar and Cobb, as well as more adventurous combos like Black Beans & Red Rice with Smoked Paprika Dressing and Sesame Shrimp with Caramelized Shallot Citrus Dressing.