Recipe: Yellow Split Pea & Spinach Stew
An easy option packed with plant-protein.
March 22, 2016
Total time to prepare: 1 hour
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 Tbs. paprika
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- 2 cups yellow split peas, picked over and rinsed
- ½ lb. baby spinach
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Sauté the onion and carrot until lightly browned, 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the paprika and cumin. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Add the split peas and 10 cups of water. Bring to a boil. Stir well and reduce the heat to low. Simmer until the peas have dissolved into a rough purée, about 40 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach and cook until tender, 1-2 minutes. Season with up to 1 tsp. of salt and pepper to taste.
Per serving (1 cup): calories 220 | total fat 4.5 g | sat fat 0.5 g | carbs 34 g | fiber 16 g | protein 11 g | sodium 280 mg